Friday, September 13, 2013

Cat 50

The painting (above) reworked a few years later, as "Cat 61".

Cat 50, Lizzy on the bed.
Acrylic on canvas. 14" x 11".

Lizzy cleaning up, on the bed. She probably spends half her waking hours cleaning herself, which I find puzzling as she does not have an opportunity to get very dirty, being an indoor only cat. I saw her once covered with cob-webs, after she managed to squeeze in behind the washing machine one day. Not sure what she was looking for back there.

I seem to do 80% of a painting in an hour or two, then spend two weeks fussing around adding and removing layers. Here I was looking for a more complex, twisting position to tackle and this looked promising with the nice diagonal lines. It turned out to be one of those shots that looked believable as a photo, but a little weird to reproduce as a painting. I bypassed a lot of elements which just ended up looking strange when I tried to include them. Looking at it now I'd like to see the paws were more "anchored" to the ground- maybe have more shadows worked in. I will likely go back in and look for a good solution later on, after I've stepped away from it for a while.
I like the warm tones. Using some cooler violet and blue in the shadows worked well to contrast with the warm hues and intensify them.

No comments:

Post a Comment