Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Cat 49

Cat 49, Don Gato.
Acrylic on Masonite. 12" x 12".

This is Don Gato, a one-eyed cat, on a towel covered chair.
 I liked the intensity of the orange cat on a turquoise towel, but had a difficult time trying to achieve the turquoise color. I tried numerous mixes of blues with other colors, and ended up wiping them off and starting over until trying an old, almost dried out tube of Pthalo green. That did the trick, although the paint was a little too compromised to work properly. I was able to coax enough pigment out to get a workable tint, but could not manipulate the paint very well. I also had to truncate his body a bit to fit into a square format.

After weeks of intense projects, appointments and obligations, I'm finally getting back into painting again. With the relatively short window of dry, warm weather, any major outside projects have to be accomplished during the brief summer months. Roofing, painting and other house repairs left me drained to do much else.



No comments:

Post a Comment