Monday, October 7, 2013

Cat 51

Cat 51, Cat on a Blanket
Acrylic on canvas. 16" x 20".

I approached this painting with the thought of keeping it "soft", consciously staying away from hard edges. And promptly violated that by introducing a tiled floor in the foreground. I liked the tiles but they really didn't fit with my objective, so I scrubbed and scrapped most of the paint off, and added in the blanket. I like the contrast of the sharper blanket edge with the rest of the image softer.

I've been thinking about my vision, having been recently diagnosed with pre-glaucoma stage symptoms, a condition inherited from my mother who has since gone blind. I'm noticing my paintings tend towards hard edges, maybe compensation for the world appearing a bit blurry?

I had terrible vision as a child. Being fairly well behaved through school, my seating assignments were towards the back of the classroom whereas the troublemakers were placed in the front where the teacher could keep a better eye on them. By age seven I recall puzzling over what the teacher was writing on the chalkboard at the front of the room- it was usually a pleasant blur. That's about the same time my grades in most subjects began to suffer noticeably. Mom used to constantly admonish me, "STOP SQUINTING!", but it wasn't until I was eleven that an official eye exam revealed that I couldn't make out details past a foot or so from my face.

4 comments:

  1. This one I really like. The colors and the eyes are what hit me the most. I used to get the stop squinting comments from mom also. I think I also got glasses when I was about 11 to correct for astigmatism. For me things were more deformed than fuzzy. The moon looks like a rugby football shape to me without my glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it, but without corrective lenses shapes appear slightly distorted to me. What I really notice is the lack of definition between objects- they all blend together and are only distinguishable by color and value (relative darkness).

      Delete
  2. A beautiful paining - thank you for sharing it :-). BIG LIKE. I was blessed with good near and far sight but was to discover at 16 years of age that I am what is termed an "anomalous trichromat" and would not be an astronaut nor pilot! I was informed that the ratio of red : green : blue cones on the retina of a "colour normal" is 20:20:1 and that while I had all three systems my reds were significantly reduced! Half of those described as being red/green colour blind have all three colours systems the other half are missing one or the other. So for me greens and blues and their mixes are more vivid. I can be blinded by green but very rarely by red. I can never know what those with normal colour vision see but I know if I like or dislike a picture - the eyes and ears of this kitty are what grabbed me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice compliment and the feedback- I find it helpful to hear why it appeals (or doesn't). Sometimes you get too close to something you are working on, and can't see it objectively anymore.
      I find the color perception comment interesting and wonder how the reduction or lack of red receptors would impact this painting.
      The only area where I used specifically red paint was in the ears. The rest of of the warm colors used were mixes of sienna, oranges and a yellow based quinacridone.

      Delete