Thursday, December 6, 2012

Cat 31

Cat 31.
Acrylic on canvas. 20" x 16".
(sold)

Lizzy in the back window, in the late winter sun.
Influenced by the late winter foggy morning light, I began by painting the entire canvas a light pink. The stand of alders and western hazelnuts in the background were still barren trunks, creating a silhouetted pattern in the fog. The Pieris Japonica in the foreground was in full bloom, adding to the overall pink cast. Working on the Pieris got me interested in trying more foliage. I need to learn how to pant trees.

I had problems getting a good shot of this painting. The colors in the foreground are are actually more saturated than they appear to be here (obscured by a reflective sheen) but I had to sacrifice that to get the background to read correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment