Monday, December 10, 2012

Cat 32

Cat 32.
Acrylic on Masonite. 12" x 12".
(sold)

This was done from an older photo I found of "Spud", a cat who lived with me years ago. He was rescued by someone I knew, found as a tiny kitten wandering on a busy four lane road in danger of becoming road kill. I agreed to watch him for a weekend while the person who rescued him was out of town, and he stayed for 15 years. He had a very easy going personality but also painfully shy with people he didn't know.

The background surface went through numerous experimental evolutions before I reverted back to the stripes. He was actually outside, napping on the bleached root base of an an old cedar log, which had weathered with patterns very similar to fabric, and I ended up inventing the fabric by imitating the patterns in the log.
I like the circular activity happening here. It is an interesting balance of visual movement with a sedate pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment