Monday, December 3, 2012

Cat 30

 Cat 30.
Acrylic on Masonite. 11" x 14".
(sold)

 This is Lizzy squeezed into a small shallow box lid, in a sunny spot on the table.
I started this by painting the entire board a solid red. After it had dried, I built up lighter and darker layers on top of the red ground. I am seeing a pattern where I shift back and forth between working "tighter" and "looser". As the previous painting was more detailed, this one loosened up.
I really like this one with
the high contrast, strong back lighting and the subtle reflections bouncing off the table onto her white fur.
The straight shadows cast across the table from the cat used to be cast by the window frame in the background, which I eliminated later. The shadows no longer make any sense, but I left them in. Curiously, no one ever brought that up to me. Is everyone really that polite, or did no one notice?


No comments:

Post a Comment