Monday, January 13, 2014

Cat 58

Cat 58: CopodeLeite.
Acrylic on canvas. 11" x 14".
(sold)


Cat 58 was an interesting challenge- the photo I worked with had the background buildings brightly lit and the cat in nearly total shadow with its eyes closed.
So I made some modifications to put the face in light, and opened up the eyes. I referenced several other shots of the same cat taken at different angles to attempt to get it reasonably correct. I'll never really know, as nothing exists for a direct comparison.

I ended up changing the color of the table cloth and the curtains in the background building. I wanted the table cloth to compliment the eyes so that went through a succession of blues.
The color of the curtains in the back have changed numerous times. The colors in the photo seemed to fight a little with the overall tone.

At one point the cat became so hard edged that it had taken on the same concrete look of the buildings. Which might be an interesting direction, but not what I was after for this.
I suspect the problem is that I became too focused on the the buildings in the background and the cat became almost secondary.


No comments:

Post a Comment