Friday, December 13, 2013

Cat 56

Cat 56, Lizzy in the chair by the wood stove.
Acrylic on canvas. 14" x 11".
(sold)

It's been below freezing for the past week, and getting progressively colder each day. Approaching the single digits at night, we are running the wood stove pretty much non-stop now.
Lizzy has abandoned the heating pad in preference for the overstuffed chair near the wood stove. She only leaves it to eat or do her business.

Having done a similar painting of her in this chair I decided to reinvent her as a gray cat to make it more interesting for myself to work on.
I wanted to include the wood stove in the picture, and had to figure out how to paint fire. Its going to take more experimenting to figure out how to achieve that intense glow of the burning logs; dropping the adjacent color saturation and values helped, but didn't produce the glow I wanted to see.

This painting was about impossible to get an accurate shot of. I kept getting an intense reflection off the surface in the dark areas, and depending on how I angled the canvas, odd looking areas of blues or reds. Adjusting the white balance on the camera as well as different lighting produced various results, but none that really nailed it.

2 comments:

  1. I do like the focus on the semi-transparent ears glowing in this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do I. Light glowing through illuminating the ear seems to be a reoccurring element for me. I wish my ears were that pretty.
    In this case I saw a relationship between the glowing ear and the glowing fire.

    ReplyDelete