Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cat 28

(Above- the painting reworked again, a few years later...)

Cat 28.
Acrylic on Masonite. 14" x 12".

Lizzy on the bed, looking back at something happening out the window behind her. A bug?A bird?

I reworked the painting from the earlier version (below) with subdued color, and added brushstroke textures. When working on the smooth Masonite board you get a more hard edged look, and don't have the natural texture to utilize as you do with canvas. It's more like working on a smooth hot press paper.
Although pleased with the overall look, I am sorry to have lost the dynamic directions of the folded stripe material in the previous version below.



Cat 28, First version.

In retrospect, I wish I had done a separate version of this painting instead of painting over it.
I like the motion of the undulating stripes forming a circular composition. But for some reason I became disenchanted by the handling of this. It was too smooth, too much like the previous works and I felt compelled to change the color scheme and add more textural elements to push into a different direction.

I am beginning to see the value of  walking away from a piece and letting it sit for a while before making a major decision.


No comments:

Post a Comment