Sunday, November 18, 2012

Cat 21


Cat 21.
Acrylic on Masonite, 12" x 12".

This is a picture of my brother sitting on my front porch, with the neighbors cat, "Tiger".
Tiger lives for lap-time, and can spot a warm lap from blocks away. I liked how they were both relaxed, sitting on the front porch on a cool summer day. Tiger is enormous and I emphasized this by exaggerating the proportions of cat to human.

The background went through several versions (see below).
It started out with a vague misty background which was too much empty space. I added in the foothills and distant mountains, which struck me as too busy and distracting. Removing some of the distant hills opened it up.
I felt this needed a stronger counterbalance on the left side, so I added in the porch supports. In retrospect, I wish I had left the hills and mountains in the background, but it's too late. The painting is out of my hands.




Cat 21, earlier version with mountains.





3 comments:

  1. my comment is apparently to be posted this time, following approval. I do not recall seing the version with the mountains in the background. I do like the final product better with a darker Tiger and the porch rails and fog in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to be following this blog now. What does that mean? Wiil they notify me when you add something? I seem to be a member also. Hopefully that does not involve paying dues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The background went through a number of revisions before I quit messing with it.
    No dues involved. Too much trouble to collect that dime every month.

    ReplyDelete