Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cat 15

Cat 15.
Acrylic on Masonite. 12" x 12".
(sold)

Lizzy sitting on the back of the sofa.
I am pretty happy with the expression- it is a classic glare. I was drawn to her efficient compact form and her expression.

I started this
(see below) with more muted earth tone colors but the foreground looked weak to me and became difficult to resolve. As the couch is in the center of the room, the actual light source was ambiguous, coming from several different directions. I wanted some dynamic punch to contrast with the quiet, sedate form and steady gaze, and it was back to the stripes again. In retrospect, I wish I had "anchored" the cat more to the striped ground.
Looking at a picture of the earlier state, I wish I had kept the diagonal shape in the lower right to keep the eye moving around the image instead of coming to an abrupt halt. I also liked the muted earth tones and the warm/cool contrast of raw sienna and ultramarine. I need to pursue that direction again and see where it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment