Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Cat 34

Cat 34.
Acrylic on Masonite. 12" x 12".
(Panini #2)

Being generally displeased with where Cat 33 was heading, I started a different painting. Working from a photo of my cat I tried the idea of modifying it and applying characteristics of the orange tabby. I doubt it really looks much like the cat I was commissioned to do, but I think it will work better as a companion piece with the painting she already has (see Cat 26).
This was done using one of the boards that I had started a painting on, and rejected. I sanded the surface down as far as I dared, applied a thin layer of gesso to create a more neutral ground and started over. This yielded some interesting textures. I wish I had left a little more open space on the left, so the paw is not so tight to the edge of the painting. This is called failing to adequately plan ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment