Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Shaddy

Shaddy
16" x 20", acrylic on canvas
sold


The challenge of this painting was:
1. working from a shot where a section of the horse was obscured by a persons head.
2. while I drew countless horse pictures as a kid, I hadn't tried painting one.
3. a white(!) horse. How do you paint a white animal? 
 It turns out the fun thing about white/light colors is how other colors are reflected on it, if you look closely enough.
As in the last painting, I had to invent a background. The photo background had possibilities, but too many unfortunate tangents and distracting forms.
 I would have preferred more time to work this out- I would like to see a different textural element defining the ground- as it is, it's too similar to the texture of the body of the horse. The warm/cool patterns got a little too busy!  I would tone down the warm yellow reflection on the horses barrel, which would help push the body back in space.
 These foreshortened angles are still head-scratchers for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment