Friday, December 14, 2012

Southern Pacific No. 10

Southern Pacific No. 10.
Acrylic on Canvas. 44" x 37".

Years ago, I took a trip on the Coast Starlight train from Seattle to California. The route ran through the snowy coastal mountain ranges as well as along the ocean. Amazing scenery. I kept a sketchbook and did a lot of drawings of that trip.
While staying near Sacramento, I dropped in to take a look at the train museum and emerged with a head full of trains and a handful of postcards. I really like the
saturated pastel colors of the old linen cards produced in the 1940's and decided I needed to make a large version for myself. The promotional images often showed a train running through an orange grove, something I never actually witnessed but I liked the idea. Maybe that happened further south down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment